Frequently asked questions

Students back to top

What type of people would I expect to find if I move into share accommodation?

  • It can vary, but you should always ask the following questions before moving in:
    • how many others live there
    • whether they are male or female
    • what are their ages
    • what nationalities are the residents
    • whether they are workers, students, retirees or families
    • what type of person are the existing tenants seeking

Is it possible to arrange accommodation with my partner or a friend?

  • It is possible, however each accommodation type is unique and there may be some individual cases where sharing with a partner or friend is not possible.

  • Studios and double rooms are more suitable. In a shared house, there is usually more than 1 room available and you can each rent a separate room.

Can I bring my pets with me?

  • Most advertised accommodation has strict rules pertaining to pets and clearly highlight whether pets are allowed.

  • If in doubt, you should clarify the situation before signing a lease by asking whether any pets would be allowed in the household.

  • If you do not clarify the situation and you move into a residency, you may find yourself in breach of your leasing arrangements and be given a ‘Notice to Leave’.

I have never lived in share accommodation before. Where can I get information about what to expect?

I have never rented a property before. Where can I get information about dealing with landlords and real estate agents? What are my legal rights and responsibilities?

  • There are a number of services available that can assist you with your enquiries.

  • In QUT:
    • Visit Renting Advice to find general advice regarding your tenancy
    • also find links to a number of very useful organisations that can provide specific information regarding all your rental enquiries.

  • Outside QUT:

What is a rental “Bond” and do I need to pay it if I am moving into share accommodation?

  • A detailed explanation of rental bonds can be found on the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website.

  • It is common practice to pay bond when you sign a tenancy agreement. All bond money is held in trust by the RTA while you live in the rental premises. The RTA will send you a notice (called an ‘Official Receipt’), to let you know they have received your bond

  • Note: If you do not receive an official receipt within a couple of weeks of moving in, it is recommended that you call the RTA to check whether they have received your bond money (RTA's contact information)

What if I need help to pay the bond, pay rent in advance or for removalists?

  • If you can’t afford the bond, the lessor/agent may let you pay the bond in instalments

  • If you are an Australian or Australian citizen
    • you may be able to get a bond loan from the Queensland Government if you meet their requirements. 
    • Another option would be to approach QUT Student Counselling and talk to a Welfare Officer. Under special circumstances, QUT may be able to provide a loan to assist with your bond, rental or removal requirements.

  • If you are an International Student, please contact International Student Services to talk to an International Student Counsellor. 

Help! I have a problem with someone/something in my accommodation and think I may need legal advice.

  • QUT's Accommodation Officers are available to offer advice and information about accommodation related matters including issues relating to share housing and rental accommodation, but not legal advice.

  • The QUT Guild provides a free legal advice service for students. For more information about this, go to the QUT Guild's Legal Advice page.

  • Legal help outside of QUT

I do not know Brisbane very well. When I use the Accommodation Database, how do I know where the accommodation is in relation to the University Campuses?

Each accommodation listing includes information about how to get to University from its location, either by walking or public transport, and approximately how long this would take.

Whereis and Google Maps are useful resources. The accommodation database listings include the street name and suburb of the accommodation on offer. You can use the above websites to locate the property and find directions to your campus. They also show the location of train and bus stations.

More information about the location of University campuses, including maps and public transport information, is available at Suburb Guides contained within the Student Life section on the QUT website.

Information about bus, ferry and train transport in Brisbane can be found at the TRANSLink website.

I want to live close to campus. How can I use the database to find accommodation in my preferred area?

When searching, use the suburb field to select your campus, this will automatically include the suburbs adjacent to your campus. All of QUT’s accommodation listings can be searched by suburb. You should visit the Suburbs Guide to obtain a list of suburbs close to QUT's campuses.

I’ve found a few listings I’m interested in. What do I do now?

You should ring the contact person listed in the advertisement, confirm that the accommodation is still available and arrange a meeting or an inspection of the room/property. Remember to ask for the street or unit number, which can only be obtained from the contact person.

How do I know whether the accommodation listed will be suitable and safe?

Although we do our best to only list accommodation we believe is suitable, we do not have the resources to inspect all properties offered, nor do we know the people offering accommodation through our service. You will need to make your own decision about whether the accommodation is suitable, and whether your prospective housemates or landlord are reliable and friendly.

During your initial phone conversation with the contact person, obtain a ‘sense’ of what they are like. You may want to ask questions about the property and the household, and confirm that the information in the accommodation listing is correct.

If you decide that you want to inspect the accommodation, confirm an appointment time. You may want to bring a friend with you to provide some moral support when you inspect the accommodation. Before your appointment, think about the sorts of things you want in a home, and perhaps make a list of questions that you can ask so as to ensure that the accommodation will be suitable. If you are looking at share accommodation, make sure you meet all the people you will be living with, and inspect all the shared areas, as well as your own room.

Remember, your prospective housemates will be assessing you for compatibility too!

I’ve called a couple of listings but the accommodation often seems to be already taken!

Due to the high demand for rental accommodation, the market is very competitive. We regularly ask landlords/agents to contact us when the accommodation is taken. Unfortunately, we are not always advised of this.

QUT’s database does have an automated vacancy removal feature, which will remove an advertised vacancy after a 2-week period, unless otherwise re-activated by the owner.

I am in crisis and I need help!

If you find yourself or a fellow student in a crisis situation that involves accommodation, contact us for help. Students in crisis should also contact Counselling Services for advice and referrals to appropriate welfare agencies that can assist in all accommodation related issues.

After hours emergency contacts are also available from Counselling Services.

International students can call Ph: 3138 2019 in all emergency situations to obtain assistance from International Student Services.

In life threatening situations, contact Queensland Emergency Services on Ph: 000. Inform the operator as to whether assistance from the police, ambulance, or the fire brigade is required. If you are calling from a mobile phone but your phone call to 000 is not connecting, phone 112. Be sure to tell the operator the town and state you are calling from.

You can also send a text message to Queensland Emergency Services – Ph: 106.

Emergency Accommodation

Community and non-government organisations offer many types of short-term accommodation for people in emergency situations. Students who unexpectedly have no place to stay should contact the listed services below or QUT’s Counselling Services for advice or referrals.

Providers back to top

What happens if I have a question as an Accommodation Provider?

You can find a comprehensive section for Accommodation Providers at the RTA's website.

What do I need to know if I own a property and want to rent out the property/a room?

Temporary Accommodation back to top

What are some temporary accommodation options?

A list of temporary accommodation providers can be found at

How long should I book my temporary accommodation if I am new to Brisbane?

Searching and securing accommodation is not an immediate process and it can take from a few days to a couple of weeks.

We recommend booking approximately 1 week at your temporary accommodation to be safe.