QUT Homestay - Further information

Staying with an Australian family is a great opportunity to practice your English and learn about Australian culture. You'll have your own room, and your host family will provide most of your meals.

If you're under 18 years of age, the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) requires you to either:

Home Affairs requirements for students under 18 years of age

If you're staying in a homestay, you must also register with the under 18 supervision program.

Apply for the under 18 supervision program

How much will it cost?

The homestay placement fee is $250.00 (non-refundable).

Homestay options

There are three homestay options:

  • Option one
    • Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) Monday - Friday, and three meals a day on weekends
    • $250 per week

  • Option two
    • Three meals a day
    • $270 per week

  • Option three (Under 18 students)
    • Three meals a day
    • $280 per week (the extra $10 includes duty of care required by homestay hosts)

What's included?

The cost of your homestay includes:

There are additional costs for:

How long can I stay for?

If you're staying with a homestay family, you must:

Living in a homestay

It is important that you develop a good relationship with your host family.

While you're living in a homestay, you are expected to behave appropriately and:

Your host family is there to help you adjust to your new environment and culture, and it's important to communicate with them as much as possible. If you need to, carry a dictionary with you. Communication is the key to a successful homestay, so please talk to your family as much as possible.

Eating dinner with your host family is a great way to get to know the family better and to talk about your experiences. Interacting with your family and seeing how they act will help you learn about Australian behaviour and customs.

If you experience any problems with your homestay, you should talk to the homestay coordinator or International Student Services. Your homestay coordinator will help you resolve your difficulties and make sure you are safe and happy.

Please be aware that it is a Home Affairs visa condition that you must attend at least 80 per cent of your class hours even if you are sick. It is important that you get a doctor's certificate if you are away from university because of illness.

How do I apply?

To apply to live in a homestay, you must read and accept all the terms and conditions of the homestay arrangement.

Apply for a homestay

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now